How To Know if the Air Ducts Need Repairs or Replacing
If your home or office building has a heating and air conditioning system, keeping the air ducts in good condition is important. Not only do they help circulate air throughout the space, but they also play a role in maintaining a comfortable temperature. Over time, air ducts can become clogged with dust and debris, reducing their efficiency. Sometimes, it may be necessary to repair or replace the air ducts altogether. Here are some signs that it may be time for air duct repair or replacement:
One should consult with an HVAC expert if they notice:
- Foul smells coming from their home’s AC vents: Most air ducts are made of materials that prevent the growth of mold and mildew. However, water damage can cause these substances to grow and produce musty, unpleasant smells. The smell could also come from a dead animal. If a rat (for example) dies inside the home’s air ducts, one should hire a professional to address the issue. Ignoring the problem could compromise the home’s indoor air quality.
- Poor airflow: Over time, some air ducts can suffer damage. For instance, changes in air pressure can cause the ducts to bend or wrap, affecting how air flows through the system. Other reasons for poor airflow may include obstructions inside the system.
- Rumbling sounds from the home’s air ducts: No loud rumbling sounds should come from the air ducts, only the sound of blowing air. However, if one hears rumbling, popping, or cracking sounds, this could mean that air pressure is warping the ducts themselves.
If a homeowner suspects that their air ducts have problems, they should consult a professional to ensure the best course of action. These are not issues that homeowners should fix on their own, and DIY home improvement measures could only worsen matters.
How Can New Ductwork Help the Home?
While replacing the entire air duct system can seem like an unexpected expense, the benefits greatly outweigh the investment. For starters, with new air ducts in place, homeowners can expect improved airflow throughout the entire home, which means no more drafty or overly stuffy rooms.
Similarly, being overly dirty or damaged can force your AC to work harder. With new air ducts in place, homeowners can expect better circulation throughout the home and lower energy costs since less debris will get in the way. Finally, the overall system will be quieter without any damaged or leaky air ducts, allowing everyone to enjoy a cool, quiet, and comfortable home.
Examples of Air Duct Repair Methods
When a professional comes to repair an AC system, they will first look for any issues. Then, they may:
- Clean the ductwork. This may include vacuuming dust, removing mold growth, and cleaning the metal tunnels with non-corrosive fluid.
- Remove damaged sections. Unlike the human body, air ducts do not heal themselves. A professional can identify a damaged section of ductwork and replace the old section with a new one without having to replace the entire ductwork.
- Patch any leaks or holes in the ductwork. If an air duct system has any leaks or holes, it could allow cool air to leave the system. This can make it difficult to maintain the home’s indoor temperature. A professional may use caulk, a patch, or another substance to patch the hole.
At first glance, these measures may seem like anyone can do them. However, as noted, one should consult a professional for help regarding their HVAC system.
About Elite Electric, Plumbing & Air
Elite Electric, Plumbing & Air has over 30 years of experience serving the residents of Port St. Lucie, FL, and the surrounding areas. They provide upfront pricing, 24/7 emergency service, and on-time arrival. Call them today for air conditioning services in Port St. Lucie, FL.