Electrical Service | How to Choose the Best Generator
Electrical Service | A generator is a very important piece of equipment to have in the house, especially now that power outages are occurring very often and are lasting much longer.
Families look up to their generator to help and keep them comfortable, relaxed, and very well entertained. With no power and the generator on, the house feels cool; there is noise all around coming from the pressure cooker, the ding-ding of the microwave, the sounds coming from the TV, the music from the computers and the ringing of the telephones.
Lately, the climate change, causing major storms have made this power outage commonplace, forcing the people to take interest in purchasing a generator that will help them tide over this recurring problem.
But buying a generator is not just buying an ordinary item. Choosing a generator requires some understanding of the equipment before buying one.
Here are some buying tips in choosing the best generator for your home:
• Make a list of all the appliances that you need to turn on even during a power outage. Note down all their wattage.
• Include in your list vital items that you can’t do without, including refrigerators, water heaters, and others. Find out which items you can go without for a few hours or days, like an oven, an air conditioner, washing machine and other appliances that can be kept off with no adverse effect. Exclude them in your list.
• Add up the watts of all the items in the list. Get the total of all the items’ wattage then multiply it by 150% to give allowance for startup power. What you get as the result is the size of the generator you need to purchase.
• After determining the size you need, narrow down your choices by considering its features, price, and characteristics that are important to you.
• Do not purchase anything less than your wattage requirements or your generator will be overloaded and may often require generator repair.
• Have your generator be professionally installed to make sure all recommended installation procedures are strictly followed.
Should you need a professional for generator repair or installation, the Elite Electric and Air, at (772) 905-3527 is just a phone call away.