Spend Money on Christmas Presents––Not Utility Bills!
During the holiday season, every penny counts. Eating in, using coupons, and staying home on Friday nights can only go so far. If homeowners are serious about saving money this holiday season, they should consider getting a programmable thermostat, changing air filters, and consulting a qualified HVAC technician for maintenance.
Each of these measures does more than just save on electric bills; they also help homeowners get the most from their HVAC systems. With these simple steps, families can enjoy a more comfortable home without an expensive price tag.
Get a Smart Thermostat
Many manufacturers, like Nest and Honeywell, now specialize in “smart” technology. Instead of relying on an old dial mounted to a wall, one can get a wifi enabled thermostat. These devices give homeowners complete control over their home’s comfort and indoor air quality.
Using a smartphone app to control their smart thermostat, one can:
- Create heating and cooling schedules
- Predict their monthly energy bill
- Remotely turn the AC or heater on and off
- Identify problems with the system
- Reduce homeowner’s energy bills
- Compare their energy usage to previous months
These devices are relatively cheap on today’s market, with some models starting at around $60, and they can help homeowners save money monthly on energy bills.
Replace the Air Filters
EnergyStar notes that most homeowners should change their HVAC unit’s air filter at least once every three months. Air filters basically let the HVAC unit “breathe” by allowing proper airflow while filtering out dog hair, dust, and other indoor air pollutants. Changing the air filters on time helps keep the unit working efficiently, saving homeowners money on electric bills.
Signs that someone should change their air filters include:
- The unit overheats easily.
- The system constantly turns on and off.
- The home never gets to the desired temperature.
- The home’s energy bills increase, despite no change in AC or heater usage.
- There is dust build-up around the home’s air vents.
- The season changes.
- More people (or pets) move into the house.
Before air filter replacement, one needs to know the filter’s length, width, and height. That’s because not all units need the same size air filter. Larger systems generally require larger air filters than smaller units.
Consult a Trained Professional
Homeowners should schedule AC maintenance visits at least once a year and heater maintenance at least once yearly. A professional can assess the home’s HVAC system and prevent any problems from arising. During their inspection, a trained professional will:
- Measure the refrigerant levels
- Check all motors and belts for tightness and wear
- Measure airflow through the evaporator coil
- Look for any leaks and then seal them
- Inspect the system’s electrical terminals
- Evaluate the system’s power source
- Insulate pipes or ducts
HVAC systems can last anywhere from 10 to 25 years, depending on how well they’re maintained. Homeowners can give their HVAC system a longer life and better efficiency, leading to lower energy bills with routine maintenance.
About Elite Electric, Plumbing & Air
Elite Electric, Plumbing & Air has served the residents of Port St. Lucie, FL, and the surrounding areas for more than 30 years. They provide upfront pricing, on-time arrival, and a culture of caring. Call them today for heating maintenance or thermostat replacement and repair in Port St. Lucie, FL.
Distribution Links +